The Star Livery Stable is reputed to be the oldest established livery in the original town of Fairplay. It was moved three blocks from the corner of Sixth and Front Street to its present site in the late 1950’s.
What is a livery stable? What role did it play in the pioneer community? If it were not for the western shows on television and in the movies, the name livery would have been long forgotten. The livery stable was the service garage of the pioneer town. Livery provided a trade that died with the coming of the automobile. Its employees cared for the traveler’s horses and carriages.
The entrance to the Star Livery was through two large wooden doors which were required to accommodate the largest horse drawn wagons and coaches. The inside walls were lined with stalls for horses while the large, open area was used to store the buggies and wagons. By exploring the inside one finds bales of hay, saddles, double and single trees (used when hitching a team of horses to wagon), leather straps, buckles, and bits for horses. Everything needed to “saddle up” a horse is readily available.