Built in 1879, this one-room building was the original school at Garo, located nine-miles east of Fairplay. Until the mid-1930's the children of gold miners, merchants and ranchers of South Park attended classes in little schoolhouses just like this one. All grades were taught in this one-room school, and like the other schools in Park County, one teacher would have taught every class. For example, a Mrs. Mayme O'Mailia was a teacher in this building from 1912 to 1913. She taught ten grades including Chemistry, English and Latin... all at a salary of sixty dollars a month!