This three room frame pioneer building was moved from Fairplay in 1962 to become the doctor’s office for South Park City. Mr. Snyder had a special interest in restoring a doctor’s office in the museum, as his grandfather, Dr. Henry S. Zumro, had been a surgeon during the Civil War. He had inherited the antique instruments and medical equipment and would now have a place to display them. Mr. Snyder advertised for additional medical equipment used by pioneer doctors. The response was unbelievable.
Some of the surgical and medical instruments belonged to Dr. J.W.H. Baker, a Colorado practitioner. Dr. Baker attended Harvard Medical School where the renowned writer, Oliver Wendell Holmes was one of his teachers. Dr. Baker started a practice in California during the famous Gold Rush of 1849. Several years later he returned to Colorado to raise his family. During Dr. Baker’s long career of medicine, he accumulated many medical instruments. These were donated to the museum by his great-grandson, Dr. W.B. crouch of Colorado Springs.
Dr. Henry S.
were used by
is what was
“key” and was
used by Dr.
days. It is a
The pioneer doctor was respected by everyone in the community, even the outlaw. His sole purpose was to save a life or to ease the pain. He traveled in all kinds of weather and under the most adverse conditions to comfort the afflicted. This exhibit represents a tribute to those pioneer doctors.