Remembering Jack Moore

Jack and Dot Moore moved into their brand-new dream house in October of 1959. At first, Jack found a few nightmares on Cottonwood Drive and battled with the builder to make them right. Things must have worked out, because the Moores would live there until their death. Jack passed away on April 24, 2010, at age 90 after a heart attack. Dot, his wife of 66 years, died in 2007 after a long illness. 

The Moores were natives of the District of Columbia. Dot’s first job was an ad taker for the old Washington Star newspaper at Eleventh Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. She later worked for the Navy at its headquarters on Constitution Avenue in D.C. and then for the Air Force on Telegraph Road after moving to Rose Hill.

Jack left Eastern High School before graduating to go to work. He would earn in GED diploma 20-plus years later. In between, he served in the United States Marines in the South Pacific during World War II and worked as a machinist at the Washington Navy Yard. Jack also worked for the Defense Supply Agency, providing provisions for warships.

He and Dot were married and started a family before Jack went off to war in 1944, volunteering to do what he saw was his duty despite the fact he was exempt from the draft because of a special  skill needed for the war effort. Dot cared for their two small children and kept the home fires going although Jack had to interrupt basic training and come home to help because of the illness of the youngest.  

Jack had planned to join the Navy where he would qualify for a higher rank and pay based on his skills as a machinist. A tough old Marine recruiter grabbed him first and before Jack knew it he was in the Corps. After finishing boot camp, he saw an announcement that dog trainers were needed and signed up. He trained dogs to help with security and prevent ambushes. After the war, his German Shepherd war dog, Rex, came home with him and was the family pet for 12 years.

Jack was extremely active in the Rose Hill and extended communities. He taught boy scouts how to shoot at the gun range at the then National Guard facility on Telegraph Road across from Greendale Gold Course. He also taught archery and the art of fly fishing to countless youths (and some interested adults, as well).

His family remembers Jack talking about getting arrested while hunting rabbits as a young man along the Anacostia River. He paid the fine, but didn’t get to keep the rabbits he and a friend had bagged.

Jack’s love of the outdoors led him to nearby Huntley Meadows Park where he was a frequent volunteer clearing trails, building bird houses and leading hikes. Jack was credited with spotting the first otter in the park.  In the winter, he would build bird houses and then come spring would instruct volunteers how to position them in order to attract various species.

Jack was a fixture on Cottonwood Drive, walking his small dog and kibitzing with neighbors.  He proudly displayed his cap as a member of the American Legion and membership in the Vietnam War Dog Association. He attended the dedication of the United States War Dog Memorial in California in 2007.

The Moores are survived by sons John A. and his wife Sally of Springfield, Thomas M. of Woodbridge, Daniel T. and his wife Cathy of Woodbridge, and Robert (Terry) and his wife Jo Ann of Newport News, VA. There are 11 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.

Fittingly, a memorial picnic in Jack’s honor was held from noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday, May 23, 2010 at Huntley Meadows Park. In his last act as a volunteer, Jack donated his body to medical science to help others.

RHCA Home Page