Rose Hill Community Calendar
May - June 2003
Items for the calendar must be received by the 15th of the month prior to publication. Public, school and church events only.
Around Rose Hill and Franconia
- Tuesday, May 27, 7 pm. Rose Hill Civic Association Meeting. John Marshall Library. Subject: Springfield Exchange Update.
- Every Wednesday and Saturday. BINGO! Franconia Volunteer Fire Dept., Inc. Early Bird, 7 pm. Regular sessions, 8 pm.
- Monday, May 26. Memorial Day.
- June 20. Last day of school.
Edison High School
- Saturday, May 31, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Class of 06 Car Wash
- Saturday, May 31, 7:30 to 11:30 pm. Prom at the Torpedo Factory.
- Sunday, June 1, 10:00 am-2:00 pm. Band Car Wash.
- Monday, June 2. SOLs.
- Tuesday, June 3. SOLs.
- Tuesday, June 3. 6:00 pm-11:00 pm, IB Banquet.
- Wednesday, June 4. SOLs. 6:30 pm-9:30 pm, Band Banquet.
- Friday, June 6 and Saturday, June 7, 7 pm. Rose Hill Play, Jack and the Giant.
- Monday, June 9. Senior Exams. 7:00 pm-8:30 pm, 10th grade parent meeting.
- Tuesday, June 10. Senior Exams.
- Wednesday, June 11. Senior Exams.
- Wednesday, June 11. 6:00 pm-9:00 pm, Spring Sports Awards.
- Thursday, June 12. Senior Exams.
- Friday, June 13, 7:00 pm-9:00 pm. Parents Honor Mr. Fennell.
- Saturday, June 14, 8:00 am-12:00 noon. Academy Flea Market and Skills USA Car Wash.
- Monday, June 16. Underclass Exams.
- Monday, June 16. 9:00 am-10:00 am, Senior Meeting. Last Full Day of School.
- Tuesday, June 17. Underclass Exams. 1/2 day of School.
- Wednesday, June 18. Underclass Exams. 1/2 day of school.
- Wednesday, June 18. 7:00 pm-9:30 pm, Graduation!
- Thursday, June 19. Underclass Exams. 1/2 Day of School.
- Friday, June 20. Last Day of School!!!
- Monday, June 23. Last Day for Teachers!!!
- Wednesday, June 25. Report Cards Mailed!
- Mark Twain Middle School
- Tuesday, May 27 through Friday, May 30. Early closings.
Rose Hill Elementary School
- June 6 and 7, 7pm. Jack and The Giant. Performed at Edison High School. Tickets: $4 for adults, $2 for children, $12 for families.
John Marshall Library
Events are free unless noted. Reservations are encouraged for library activities; call 703.971.0010.
- Tuesdays, 6:30 pm. Personalized Internet Training. Learn how to use the Web, or increase your skills. Call for an appointment. Adults.
- Wednesday, June 4, 10:30 am. Wednesday Wonders. Stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Friday, June 6, 12:00 pm. Lunch Bunch. Bring a lunch and listen to stories. Age birth-5 with adult.
- Friday, June 13, 12:00 pm. Lunch Bunch. Bring a lunch and listen to stories. Age birth-5 with adult.
- Wednesday, June 18, 7:15 pm. Book Discussion Group. Adults. No registration is required.
- Saturday, June 21, 2:00 pm. The Amazing Josini. Ventriloquism, magic and comedy in this fun-filled show. Tapes and CDs will be available for purchase. Sponsored by the Friends of the George Mason Regional Library. Age 6-12.
- Thursday, June 26, 10:30 am. Cartooning Workshop With Jim Sizemore. Create your own cartoon. Sponsored by the Friends of the George Mason Regional Library. Age 6-12.
- Saturday, June 28, 2:00 pm. Blue Sky Puppet Theatre: The Three Not-So-Little Pigs. Sponsored by the Friends of the George Mason Regional Library. All ages.
Huntley Meadows Park
Huntley Meadows Park and Visitor Center, 3701 Lockheed Blvd. Alexandria, VA 22306, 703/768-2525
Fairfax County Park Authoritys largest park (1,428 acres) includes wetlands, forests, meadows, streams and ponds. It has resident deer, beaver, heron and other animals. Facilities include a visitor center, auditorium, exhibits and an interpretive trail with boardwalk and observation platforms. Programs for groups by reservation. The Visitor Center is open 9am-5pm, Monday, Wednesday-Friday. On June weekends the Visitor Center is open 9am-5pm. On July and August weekends the Visitor Center is open 9am-1pm. The Visitor Center is closed Tuesday. Grounds open dawn to dusk. Events are at the Visitors Center unless noted. Reservations are required for nature activities; call 703.768.2525.
- Sunday, June 1, 7-10am. Birding for Beginners (Adults). Interested in birding? We can get you started! Learn about the birds in the park and some basic identification skills. Program begins with a discussion of field guides and optics. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
- Saturday, June 7, 7-9:30am. Birds and Bagels (Adults). Explore the woodland and wetland to observe summer bird life. Following the walk, cool off and enjoy juice and bagels at the Visitor Center. Meet at the Visitor Center parking lot. Binoculars and field guides recommended. Sponsored by FOHMP. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. $5
- Monday, June 9, 3:15-4:30pm. Young Explorers-Rock and Roll (6-8 yrs.). Through story and hands-on activities, discover how we use rocks and minerals at school and at home. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. $2
- Wednesday, June 11, and Thursday, June 12, 9:30-10:15am or 10:45-11:30am. Nature Detectives-Rock and Roll (3-5 yrs.). Through story, craft and hands-on activities, discover how we use rocks and minerals at school and at home. Reservations required. $3
- Saturday, June 14, 9-10:30am. Wetland Plant Walk (Adults). Take a walk to learn about common wetland plants and search for the animals that use them. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
- Friday, June 20, 7-9:30pm. Café Cattail (Families). Welcome to Huntley Meadows very own coffeehouse! Enjoy a relaxing evening applauding our communitys talents. Musicians, dancers and poets are encouraged to share their arts with a nature theme. Reservations required for performers only. Sponsored by FOHMP. FREE
- Saturday, June 21, 3-4:30pm. A Walk on the Wild Side. Take an introductory walk with a naturalist and observe the seasonal highlights of the park. Appropriate for families; children must be five years or older. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
- Sunday, June 22, 1-2:30pm. Sssnakes! (Families). Through discussion and a walk learn about some of Huntleys scaly inhabitants. Appropriate for families; children must be six years or older. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
- Saturday, June 28, 8-10pm. Summer Stroll (Adults). Glittering fireflies, gnawing beavers and a parade of raccoons. Huntley Meadows Park never sleeps! Learn about Huntleys night life through a Dragonflies (Adults). Learn about the life cycle, behavior and identification of Huntleys many dragonflies and damselflies. Venture to the wetland to observe these acrobatic fliers in action. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
Reservations start on Wednesday, April 16, 9am
- June 25-27, 9:30-11:30am, Nature Snoopers. 5-6 (not 1st) yrs, $55
- July 7-11, 9-noon, Artist and Scientist. 9-12 yrs, $75
- July 16-18, 9-11:30am, Nature Day Camp. 6-8 yrs, $55
Around the County and Virginia
- June 13 & 14. Fairfax County Teen Centers Open House. If you are in the sixth grade or a rising seventh grader, Teen Center Weekend is just for you: giant pizza parties, teen speak out sessions, tours, fun games, and activities. Parents welcome. For a teen center convenient for you, call 703.324.TEEN or website: www.fairfaxcounty.gov/rec.
- June 19. Celebrity Golf Tournament. In cooperation with the Black Law Enforcement Association. Registration deadline is June 2. To be held at Castle Greens Golf Club, 11446 Rogues Road, Midland, VA. Entrance fees: $70/golfer, $267/foursome. For more information, call 703.324.5555.
- June 23 to August 29. RECQuest 2003. Summer Day Program for Grades 1 through 6. Monday through Friday, 9am to 6pm. $70 per week. For a list of locations or an application, call 703.324.5555.
- June 23 through August 30. Summer Meals (Ages 5-18). Fairfax County Department of Community and Recreation Services operates the USDA Summer Meals Program. This program provides fresh, well-balanced meals to hungry children while schools is out during the summer. Some sites offer breakfast and lunch. Meals are free to children. Children must qualify for reduced meals during the school year. To find a location, call 703.324.5722 or 703.324.5555.
- June 24, 7 to 9pm. Volunteer Appreciation Celebration. Fairfax, Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway.
- June 30 to August 7, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 3pm. Individuals with Disabilities programs (children, 5-12 and teen/adults, 13-21). Offered for a 6-week period at various locations throughout Fairfax County for people with physical and learning disabilities and mental retardation. For cost, specific locations, applications, or sliding fee scale, call 703.324.5532.
- Through December 31. Lewis & Clark Exhibition at Monticello. Charlottesville. For information: phone 434.984.9822 or 434.984.9800; email email@example.com; website www.monticello.org.
- May 23 through 25, 7 to 9:30 pm. Remember The MusicA Tribute to Our Military Heroes. Virginia Beach oceanfront and boardwalk. For information: phone 757.491.SUNN or 800.822.3224; website www.vbfun.com or www.beacheventsfun.com.
- May 23 through 26, 10 am to 8 pm. Memorial Day Gospel Singing. Breaks Interstate Park. For information: phone 276.865.4413 or 800.982.5122; website www.breakspark.com.
- May 23 through June 1. Roanoke Festival in the Park. Various locations in Roanoke. For information: phone 540.342.2640; website roanokefestival.org.
- May 25 through August 31, 7 to 10 pm. Shenandoah Valley Music Festival. Woodstock, Orkney Springs. For information: phone 540.459.3396 or 800.459.3396; website www.musicfest.org.
- May 25 through August 31, 1:30 to 3 pm. Summer Sunday Reenactments of Patrick Henrys Speech. Richmond, St. Johns Church. For information: phone 804.648.5015 or 804.649.7938; website www.historicstjohnschurch.org.
- May 20 through 31. Graves Mountain Lodge Festival of Music. For information: phone 540.948.4455; website www.gravesmountain.com.
- May 30 through June 2. Elvis and The Stars of Yesteryear. Virginia Beach oceanfront and boardwalk. For information: phone 757.491.SUNN or 800.822.3224; website www.vbfun.com or www.beacheventsfun.com.
- May 31 through June 1. Blackbeard Festival. Downtown Hampton. For information: phone 757.727.1540 or 800.800.2202 or 757.727.1102; website www.hamptoneventmakers.com.
- June 6 10 am-10 pm. National D-Day MemorialD-Day Commemoration. Bedford, National D-Day Monument. For information: phone 800.351.DDAY or 540.586.DDAY or 540.587.8973; website www.dday.org.
- June 6 through 7. Highlands Jazz Festival. Abingdon. For information: phone 276.676.2282 or 888.489.4230 or 800.435.3440; website www.abingdon.com/tourism.
- June 6 through 8. Alexandria Red Cross Waterfront Festival. Alexandria, Oronoco Bay Park. For information: phone 703.549.8300; website www.funside.com.
- June 6 through 8. Celebrate Fairfax. Fairfax County Government Center. For information: phone 703.314.3147 or 800.880.6629; website www.celebratefairfax.com.
- June 6 through 8. Gold Cup Historic Races. Alton, Virginia International Raceway. For information: phone 434.822.7700 or 888.RAC.E099; website www.virclub.com.
- June 6 through 8. North American Sand Soccer Championships. Virginia Beach oceanfront. For information: phone 757.471.3337 or 757.456.0578 or 800.822.3224; website www.sandsoccer.com/.
- June 12 through 5. Boardwalk Art Show & Festival. Virginia Beach. For information: phone 757.425.0000 or 800.822.3224; website www.vbfun.com or www.cacv.org.
- June 13 and 14, 7 to 11 pm. River In Time Batteau Festival. Lynchburg, Percivals Island. For information: phone 434.528.3950.
- June 13through 16, 10 am to10 pm. Maury River Fiddlers Convention. Buena Vista, Glen Maury Park. For information: phone 540.261.7321.
- June 14 and 15, 10 am to 4 pm. Revolutionary War - Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee Weekend. Woodbridge, Leesylvania State Park. For information: phone 703.670.0372 or 703.670.0024 or 703.583.6904; website www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/index.htm.
- June 21, 11 am to 4 pm. Juneteenth. Hardy, Booker T. Washington National Monument. For information: phone 540.721.2094l; website www.nps.gov/bowa/home.htm.
- June 27 and 28, 4 to 7 pm. Afrikan American Festival. Downtown Hampton. For information: phone 757.838.4721 or 800.800.2202 or 757.727.1102; website www.hamptoncvb.com.
- June 27 and 28, 5 to 11:30 pm. Grayson County Fiddlers Convention. E1k Creek. For information: phone 276.655.4740 or 276.655.4144.
- June 28 and 29, 10 am to 5 pm. Anniversary of the Seven Days Battles at Gaines Mill. Mechanicsville, Richmond National Battlefield Park. For information: phone 804.226.1981; website www.nps.gov/rich/home.htm.
RHCA Home Page