Rose Hill Community Calendar
January - February 2003
Items for the calendar must be received by the 15th of the month prior to publication. Public, school and church events only.AROUND ROSE HILL AND BEYOND
Tues., Jan. 28, 7 pm. Rose Hill Civic Association Meeting. John Marshall Library.
Tues., Feb. 4, 8 am. Opening of Tuesday Morning in Rose Hill Shopping Center. (planned) Tues., Feb. 4, 7:30 pm. Meeting of the Granny Squares, an area service club for grandmothers. Franconia Governmental Center. Call Fran Watts at 703-971-5934 for information. Mon., Feb. 17, 9 am-4 pm. George Washington's Birthday Celebration at Mount Vernon. All visitors admitted FREE. Meet "General Washington." participate in the presidential wreath laying at Washington's Tomb at 10 am and enjoy music and military performance by the U.S.Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corp and the Commander-in-Chief's Guard. Sat., Feb. 22 is George Washington's real birthday. Mount Vernon celebrates by FREE admission for anyone named George or anyone whose birthday is Feb. 22! Tues., Feb. 25, 7 pm. Rose Hill Civic Association Meeting. John Marshall Library. Every Wednesday and Saturday. BINGO! Franconia Volunteer Fire Dept., inc. Early Bird, 7 pm. Regular sessions, 8 pm.
EVENT OF NOTE
- Fri., Jan. 31, 7-9:30 pm. Cafe Cattail (Families) Huntley Meadow's Visitor Center. Welcome to Huntley Meadows' very own coffeehouse! Held quarterly, the microphone and spotlight are open to everyone. The attractive Visitor Center's auditorium is changed into an intimate coffeehouse with small tables, cut flowers and the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Enjoy a relaxing evening applauding our community's talents. Musicians, dancers and poets are encouraged to share their arts with a nature theme. Sponsored by FOHMP. Reservations required for performers only. FREE.
JOHN MARSHALL LIBRARY
Events are free unless noted. Reservations are encouraged for library activities; call 703-971-0010.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1 - 5:30 pm. AARP Tax Counseling. Adults. No registration is required.
- Mondays, 7 pm and Tuesdays, 6:30 pm. One-on-One Internet Training. 45 minutes with a volunteer tutor. Call for an appointment. Wed., Feb. 5,10:30 am. Penguin Play. Stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Thurs., Feb. 6, 7 pm. Teddy Bear Time. Stories and activities. Bring your favorite stuffed toy. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Fri., Feb. 7,14, 21,12 pm. Lunch Bunch. Bring a lunch and listen to stories. Age birth-5 with adult.
- Wed., Feb. 12,10:30 am. Heart to Heart. Stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Wed., Feb. 19,10:30 am. Friends Forever. Stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Wed., Feb. 19, 7:15 pm. Book Discussion Group. Adults. February's selection: Daughter of Fortune, Isabel Allende. No registration required.
- Sat., Feb. 22, 2 pm. African Trickster Tales. Barefoot Puppets preforms two traditional stories from Africa's West Coast. Sponsored by the Friends of the John Marshall Community Library. All ages.
HUNTLEY MEADOWS PARK
Events are at the Visitor's Center unless noted. Reservations are required for nature activities; register by calling 703-768-2525. Thurs., Jan. 30 and Fri. Jan. 31, 10 am - 1 pm. Winter Chills and Thrills. (5-10 yrs.) What a fun way to spend the day off from school. Drop in to play games, make crafts and explore self-guided activities. Discover how wildlife copes with winter. Children must be accompanied by an adult. $2/child.
- Sat., Feb. 8,1-3:30 pm. Winter Tree Trek. (16 yrs. & up) Learn to use "keys"and other tools to identify winter trees from such clues as shapes, twigs and bark. Then explore the winter woods to practice your skills. Reservations required. FREE.
- Mon., Feb. 10, 3:30-4:30 pm. Animal Valentines. Love is in the air at Huntley Meadows. Learn how animals choose their mates, then create an animal valentine card. reservations required. Sponsored by FOHMP. S2.
- Sat., Feb. 15 and 22, and Sun. Feb. 16 and 23, 1-3 pm. Sherlock Bones. Skulls, skeletons and self-guided activities will be set up in the classroom to bring out the Sherlock in you. FREE.
- Sat., Feb. 22, 8-10 am. Birds and Bagels. (Adults.) Enjoy the winter season during this morning search for resident birds. Following the walk, warm up with hot chocolate and flesh bagels. Sponsored by FOHMP. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. SS.
- Thurs., Jan. 30 and Fri., Jan. 31. Teacher Workdays. (If school should be closed between now and then, Thursday will be a regular schoolday.)
- Mon., Feb. 17. President's Day.
RHCA Home Page