Rose Hill Community Calendar
April - May 2004
Items for the calendar must be received by the 15th of the month prior to publication. Public, school and church events only.
Around Rose Hill, Franconia, and Northern VA
- Tuesday, April 27, 7pm. Rose Hill Civic Association Meeting. John Marshall Library. Subject: 50th anniversary celebration planning.
- Every Wednesday and Saturday. BINGO! Franconia Volunteer Fire Dept., Inc. Early Bird, 7pm. Regular sessions, 8pm.
- Any Day. Give Blood--the Gift of Life. Inova Woodburn Blood Donor Center, 3289 Woodburn Road, Annandale, VA. Monday thru Friday, 8am-8pm; Saturday, 9am-5pm. Help save up to three lives in just one hour! Blood donors are needed year round, but especially now and especially type O donors. For more information or to make an appointment to donate at a donor center or community blood drive, call 1-866-BloodSaves (866.256.6372) or visit www.inova.org/donateblood. Thank you for helping save lives in our community!
- March-August, 10am-4pm. 'A Century of Just Women: Alexandria's African American Women.' 15 women, including current City Council member Joyce Woodson, are featured in this exhibit at the Alexandria Black History Resource Center, 638 N. Alfred St. Free. www.alexblackhistory.org or 703.838.4356.
- April 1-May 9. "Rosemary & I." The writer of last season's "High Dive" presents this one-woman show about a writer looking for her inspiration at Metro Stage, 1201 N. Royal St., 8pm Wed.-Sat., 2 & 7pm Sun. Tickets $32-$38. www. metrostage.org or 703.548.9044.
- April 1-June 27. "Crazy For You." The alI-Gershwin musical, winner of three Tony Awards, at West End Dinner Theater, 4615 Duke St. Dinner at 6pm with show at 8pm Tues-Sun., lunch at noon with show at 2pm Sun. and selected Wed. '13ckets $35-$43 at www. wedt.com or 703.370.2500
- April-October. George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate begins its expanded summer hours, 8am-Spm daily through August with a variety of tours through October. South end of George Washington Memorial Parkway. www.mountvemon.org or 703.780.2000.
- April-October. Weekenders at Gunston Hall. Special tours are offered at noon, 1:30 and 3pm. www.gunstonhall.org 703.550.9220.
- April-November, Friday nights. Lantern Tours. The seasonal return of these popular candlelight tours, focusing on tavern life in the 18th century. Gadsby's Tavern Museum, 134 N. Royal St. $4, $2 for ages 11-17, free for 10 and under. Call to confirm, www. gadsbystavern.org or 703.838.4242
- April 17-May 2. Mount Vernon's Gardening Days. The estate's annual garden sale, including plants grown from historic cuttings, plus this is the only time the Orangerie, Washington's greenhouse, is open to the public, www.mountvernon.org or 703.780.2000.
John Marshall Library
- Events are free unless noted. Reservations are encouraged for library activities; call 703.971.0010.
- Tuesdays, 6:30pm. Personalized Internet Training. Learn how to use the Web or increase your skills. Call for an appointment. Adults.
- Fridays, 12:00pm. Lunch Bunch. Bring a lunch and listen to stories. Age birth-5 with adult.
- Saturday, April 24, 10:30am. Sophie the Performing Dog.
- Welcome Sophie back and watch her amazing tricks. All ages. :
- Tuesday, April 27, 7:30pm. Rose Hill Civic Association meeting. Discussions will include Rose Hill's 50th anniversary celebration planning.
- Wednesday, April 28, 10:30am. Full of Feathers! Stories and activities about our feathered friends! Age 2-5 with adult. Fabulous at 50. In May, our library celebrates its 50th anniversary with refreshments and activities for the whole family. For more information, call 703.971.0010.
- Wednesday, May 5, 10:30am. Konichiwa! Travel to Japan through stories and activities that celebrate Children's Day! Age 2-5 with adult.
- Thursday, May 6, 7:00pm. Teddy Bear Time. Stories and activities. Bring your favorite stuffed toy. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Wednesday, May 12, 10:30am. Don't Bug Me! Creepy, crawly insect stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Monday, May 17, 7:00pm. John Marshall Friends Meeting. Discover how you can be active in supporting your Library branch. Adults. No registration is required.
- Wednesday, May 19, 7:15pm. Book Discussion Group. Adults. No registration is required.
Huntley Meadows Park
Huntley Meadows Park and Visitor Center, 3701 Lockheed Blvd., Alexandria, VA 22306, 703.768.2525
- Saturday, May 1, 7-10am. Advanced Birding at South King's Highway (Adults). This walk is intended for experienced birders. We will visit parts of the park historically known for warblers and other neotropical songbirds. Dress for off-trail hiking. Binoculars and field guides are recommended. Meet at the park's South King's Highway and Telegraph Road entrance. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
- Sunday, May 2, Noon-3pm. Wetlands Awareness Day. Enjoy an afternoon of wetland interpretation, wildlife presentations and a "Fun Fair" for kids. Bring your friends and family to celebrate the importance of wetlands to wildlife and you. There is a modest fee for some activities. Sponsored by FOHMP. FREE
- Saturday, May 8, 7-10am. Birding at South King's Highway (Adults). This is the height of neotropical songbird migration. Binoculars and field guides are recommended. Meet at the park's South King's Highway and Telegraph Road entrance. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
- Monday, May 10, 3:15-4:30pm. Young Explorers--Sssnakes (6-8 yrs.). Through indoor and outdoor activity learn more about this legless, scaly reptile. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. $3
- May 12 and 13, 9:30-10:15am or 10:45-11:30am. Nature Detectives--Sssnakes (3-5 yrs.). Through story, activity and craft learn more about this legless, scaly reptile. Reservations required. $5
- Thursday, May 13, 7:30-8:30pm. Lecture--Ecuador (Adults). Fred Atwood will show slides of the Amazon Basin, Andes Mountains and Galapagos Islands. FREE to FOHMP members and Huntley Meadows' volunteers. Sponsored by Friends of Huntley Meadows Park. Reservations required. $3
- Saturday, May 15,1-2:30pm. Welcome to Huntley Meadows. Take an introductory walk with a naturalist and observe the seasonal highlights of the park. Appropriate for families with children 5 yrs. and up. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
Edison High School
For more information, visit http://www.fcps.edu/ EdisonHS/ or http://www.edisonhsboosters.com/index.html
- Saturday, April 24, 8:00am-noon. Saturday School 8:00am-noon. Flea Market 10:00am-2:00pm. Freshmen Car Wash 7:30-10pm. Spring Musical--The Boyfriend
- Sunday, April 25, 10:00am-2:00pm. Band Car Wash Wednesday, April 28, 2:30-3:30pm. SOL Review Thursday, April 29, 7:30am-2:30pm. ESOL Testing Friday, April 30, 7:30am-2:30pm. ESOL Testing 7:00-10:00pm. MR Dept Spring Party/Dance
- Saturday, May 1, 8:00am-noon. SATs 7:00-10:00pm. Navy Band Concert
- Wednesday, May 5, 2:30-3:30pm. SOL Review
- Friday, May 7, 7:00-9:30pm. International Night Saturday, May 8, 8:00am-noon. Saturday School 8:00-11:00am. Gang awareness meeting 9:00am-1:00pm. Class of 05 Car Wash
- Monday, May 10, 2:30-3:30pm. SOL Review
- Friday, May 14, 7:00-9:30pm. JROTC Awards Ceremony Saturday, May 15, 10:00am-2:00pm. Band Car Wash
- Monday, May 17, 7:00-8:30pm. Class of 64 Reunion Meeting Wednesday, May 19, 2:30-3:15pm. SGA Spring Social Friday, May 21, 8:00pm-Midnight. Senior Prom (Sheraton National Hotel (Crystal City)
- Saturday, May 22, 8:00am-noon. Saturday School 8:00am-12:00pm. JROTC Car Wash
- Tuesday, May 25, 8:00-9:00pm. English Awards Reception Wednesday, May 26, 7:00-8:30pm. Spring Piano Recitals Thursday, May 27, 7:00-10:30am. CEO breakfast 7:00 9:00pm. Band Banquet 7:30-9:30pm. Spring Chorus Recital
- Saturday, May 29, 10:00am-2:00pm. Junior Class Car Wash Monday, May 31. Memorial Day Holiday
Mark Twain Middle School
For more information, visit http://www.fcps.edu/TwainMS/
- April 28. Honor Roll Assembly: 7th grade: 8:15 am, 8th grade: 9:30 am
- May 8. Band, Orchestra & Chorus Spring Trip to Busch Gardens
- May 18. English 8 SOL
- May 19. Civics 8 SOL
- May 20. History 7 SOL
- May 25. Mathematics 8 SOL
- May 26. Science 8 SOL
- May 27. Algebra 1 and Geometry SOL
- May 31. Memorial Day Holiday
- June 3, 7:00pm. Choral Spring Concert in the Mark Twain Cafetorium
- June 11. Graduation On or After This Date
- June 11,7:00-9:30pm. Annual 8th Grade Dance-It's Mardigras Magic!
- June 18. Last Day of School
Rose Hill Elementary School
- April 30. Arbor Day
- May 2-8. Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 3-7. Child Nutrition Employee Recognition Week
- May 12. School Nurse Day
- May 17-21. National Adult and Continuing Education Week
- May 17-21. National Educational Bosses Week
- May 31. Memorial Day (observed)
RHCA Home Page