Rose Hill Community Calendar
April - May 2003
Items for the calendar must be received by the 15th of the month prior to publication. Public, school and church events only.
Around Rose Hill and Franconia
- Tuesday, April 22, 7 pm. Rose Hill Civic Association Meeting. John Marshall Library. Speakers: Leon Plenty, Manager, Lee District Park, and Kimberly Veal, Registered Nurse and Patient Care Director, INOVA Healthplex.
- Every Wednesday and Saturday. BINGO! Franconia Volunteer Fire Dept., Inc. Early Bird, 7 pm. Regular sessions, 8pm.
- Monday, May 26 . Memorial Day.
Edison High School
- Thursday, April 24, 5:30 to 9:00 pm. Mini-Golf Night at Kingstowne.
- Saturday, April 26, 8:00 am to noon. FCA Car Wash.
- Sunday, April 27, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Key Club Car Wash.
- Friday, May 2, 7:00 to 9:30 pm. Mr. Edison.
- Sunday, May 04,10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Swim Team Car Wash.
- Wednesday, May 7, 12:45 to 6:15 pm. Summer JOB Fair (Cafe).
- Saturday, May 10, 8:00 am to noon. Band Car Wash and Academy Flea Market.
- Sunday, May 11, 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Volleyball Team Car Wash.
- Friday, May 16. Interims Mailed.
- Saturday, May 16, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Class of 06 Car Wash.
- Sunday, May 18,10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Swim Team Car Wash.
- Saturday, May 24, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. National Forensics Tournament.
- Saturday, May 31,9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Class of 06 Car Wash 7:30 to 11:30 pm. Prom at the Torpedo Factory.
Mark Twain Middle School
- Tuesday, May 27 through Friday, May 30. Early closings.
- Wednesday, April 23; Tuesday, April 29; Wednesday, May 7; and Wednesday, May 14. UNO's fundraisers.
- Thursday, April 24. Out to work day.
Rose Hill Elementary School
- April 21 to May 16. The school day will be extended a half hour.
- Friday, May 16. PTA fundraiser. An evening of BINGO with "beautifully-filled Longaberger Baskets" as prizes. Admission is $15 in advance and $20 at the door. There are also door prizes and three basket raffles. Contact person Sue Reynolds (703.971.8929)
John Marshall Library
Events are free unless noted. Reservations are encouraged for library activities; call 703.971.0010.
- Tuesdays, 6:30 pm. Personalized Internet Training. Learn how to use the Web or increase your skills. Call for an appointment. Age 12 & up.
- Fridays, 12 pm. Lunch Bunch. Bring a lunch and listen to stories. Age birth-5 with adult.
- Monday, April 21, 7:00 pm. Franconia in the Civil War.
- Wednesday, April 23, 10:30 am. April Showers. Stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Saturday, April 26, 2:00 pm. Creepy Creatures. Reptiles Alive presents an introduction to cockroaches, a tarantulas, alligators and snakes. Sponsored by the Friends of the John Marshall Community Library. All ages.
- Thursday, May 1, 7:00 pm. Teddy Bear Time. Stories and activities. Bring your favorite stuffed toy. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Wednesday, May 7, 10:30 am. A Present for Mom. Stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Saturday, May 10, 10:30 am. Sophie the Performing Dog. A live canine plays basketball, music, and more. Sponsored by the Friends of the John Marshall Library. All ages.
- Wednesday, May 14, 10:30 am. Let's Take a Trip. Stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Wednesday, May 21, 10:30 am. Noses are Nice. Stories and activities. Age 2-5 with adult.
- Wednesday, May 21, 7:15 am. Book Discussion Group. Adults. No registration is required.
Huntley Meadows Park
Events are at the Visitor's Center unless noted. Reservations are required for nature activities; register by calling 703.768.2525.
- Sunday, May 4, Noon to 3pm, Wetlands Awareness Day. Enjoy an afternoon of wetland interpretation, wildlife presentations and a "Fun Fair" for kids. Bring your friends and family to celebrate the importance of wetlands to wildlife and you. There is a modest fee for some activities. Sponsored by FOHMP.
- Monday, May 12, 3:15-4:30pm, Young Explorers. Fish (6-8 yrs.). Scales, tails, fins and gills-learn about our fishy friends through a walk and an activity. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. $2
- Wednesday, May 14, and Thursday, May 15, 9:30-10:15am or 10:45-11:30am, Nature Detectives-Fish (3-5 yrs.). Find out about our fishy friends through a story, an activity and a craft. Reservations required. $3
- Sunday, May 18, 3-4:30pm, A Walk on the Wild Side. Reservations required. Canceled if rain. FREE
- Monday, May 19, 3:30-5:30pm, Eco-Savers--Wetlands Are Wonderful! (9-12 yrs.). Celebrate Wetlands Awareness Month with a close up look at Huntley's precious wetland. Learn about the benefits of wetlands and what you can do to keep them healthy. Sponsored by FOHMP. Reservations required. $5
Reservations start on Wednesday, April 16, 9am
- June 25-27 Nature Snoopers., 9:30-11:30am, 5-6 (not 1st) yrs, $55
- July 7-11 Artist and Scientist., 9-noon, 9-12 yrs, $75
- July 16-18 Nature Day Camp., 9-11:30am, 6-8 yrs, $55COMING THIS SPRING
The Fairfax County Home Grown Farmers' Markets Program is opening their newest market at the Plaza at Kingstowne Towne Center in May.
RHCA Home Page