Hydrofluoric acid is a valuable adjunct to be used in removing fired glass decoration, but too great caution cannot be exercised in regard to it. It is a powerful acid, and exceedingly dangerous, destroying everything with which it comes in contact. One puts his personal safety in jeopardy every time it is handled. If it touches the flesh, it will produce the most excruciating torture until its
power is exhausted, which sometimes requires several days. Sweet oil is an antidote, but should an accident happen, call your doctor at once. This acid comes in wax bottles, as it would eat through glass and as a pre- cautionary measure against accidents, acid resisting rubber
gloves should be worn when it is used. Test them for
holes each time before you put them on, and do not so
much as handle the bottle without your rubber gloves.
Wear a mask to protect your nose, throat, and lungs from
the powerful acid. Place the bottle in a tin box, to pre.
vent it from falling over. When a small area is to be
removed, wrap a little cotton around a pointed stick or
a Q-tip, if it is large enough. Moisten with water, dip
in the acid, and then rub the glass until the color is removed.
It is safer for you if the weather is cool, as
heat causes fumes from the acid which are almost as
severe as the acid.
Work with acid Out in the open
only. Pick a stfll day
to use it, as the wind might blow it in your eyes, which
could mean blindness. Be sure to keep a container of
soda water handy to rinse your china and also have
a container of lime water to wash your hands after you
have finished using it. Do not remove your gloves until
you have put away the acid and thrown the material you
have used in the trash can. You cannot be too careful.
Keep it out of the reach of children, as it is a deadly